One of the variations of sit-ups are sumo squats, which are the performance of an exercise with a wide setting of legs and socks unfurled outwards. This position gives the maximum load on the muscles of the buttocks and the inner thighs. In the technique of performing, the sumo squat is similar to squatting: many believe that it is one and the same element.
Content of the article
- The difference between sumo and plie
- Features of exercise and work of muscles
- Technique of performing sumo squats and common mistakes
- Variations of exercise
- Contraindications and precautions
- Recommendations for the exercise
- Can I replace the usual sumo squats with dumbbells?
- Who will do the exercise
The difference between sumo and plie
The differences between sumo squats and pliets can be insignificant, but they are still available:
|The position of the body when the element is executed||Corpus leaning forward, this led back||The back is straight, the pelvis is one line with it|
|Load on the inner surface of the thigh||Less||More|
|Leg Setting||Less wide leg arrangement||The legs are very wide apart|
|Operating weight||Ability to work with large scales||Limited choice of weights|
|Security||Safely||There is a risk of injury to the hip joints due to their unnatural position|
Therefore, to increase muscle mass in the inner thigh area, sumo will be more effective and safer. This version of squats allows you to work with a lot of weight, without causing discomfort to the hip joints.Sligh with a small weight can be used at the end of the training to fix the result.
Features of exercise and work of muscles
At usual squats with parallel arrangement of stops the basic loading goes on quadricepses. And due to the inclination of the back forward in the training, the waist takes part. The technique of sumo enables the redistribution of the load from the dorsal muscles to the legs. You can do sumo squats with a dumbbell, barbell or other weights. In addition to excellent working out of the muscles of the lower body, the sumo squats have the following advantages:
- Give the opportunity to work out the muscles in the complex.
- Improve mobility and develop flexibility of the hip joints.
- They have a beneficial effect on the pelvic organs by improving the circulation in the lower part of the body.
Another advantage of the element is that it can be performed without problems at home.
Based on all of the above, we can conclude that sumo squats for girls are an indispensable exercise, despite the fact that they require considerable physical training. It is necessary to try very hard to sit down, while not lowering the knees. And you need to do this every time.
As for the work of the muscles, in the training process besides the inner surface of the thighs and buttocks are involved:
- calf muscles;
- muscles of the back.
Technique of performing sumo squats and common mistakes
Step by step technique of performing sumo squats for both girls and the stronger sex will be as follows:
Step 1. We take the starting position: stand up smoothly, preserving the natural deflection in the lumbar region. We set our legs apart, turning our feet outwards.
Important! Try to sit down in this position. If you do not feel any discomfort when you bring your hips to a parallel with the floor, then you can work from this position already with weights.
Another important point is the choice of burdening:
- suomo squats with a bar assume the location of the neck on the muscles of the back, just below the neck;
- when performing an element with dumbbells, you can lower them in front of the body on outstretched hands – as a result, the weight at the squat will pass between the legs, or lower one dumbbell also in front of the body, taking it by the disk.
Step 2. On inhalation we begin the squatting to the parallel of the thighs of the floor. We try hard not to bow out and follow the position of the knees: they must be in the same plane with their toes and do not rotate inwards. The pelvis should be withdrawn as far back as possible.
Step 3. On exhalation slowly rise. We perform ten to fifteen times for two or three approaches.
Important clarification! When squatting below the parallel with the floor, gluteal muscles are better worked, but the load on the knees increases.
As for the errors in the execution of the element, they can be as follows:
- Rounding of the back during the training. The back should always remain straight except for the natural deflection in the lower back. Shoulders need to be straightened, look straight ahead.
- Bringing the knees forward for the socks. When squatting the knees should not go beyond the level of the sock: for this you need to keep the pelvis back as far as possible.
- Taking large weights. Do not overdo it: the main thing is the technique of execution, and not the weight taken. If you can not correctly execute the element at the selected weight, it is better to reduce its weight.
Variations of exercise
You can do sumo squats:
- without burdening, directing all energy to the working off of technology;
- with dumbbells or one dumbbell;
- with a barbell;
- with the weight to be kept below.
To increase strength, you can use in training such techniques as “chair”, in which the bottom of the buttocks almost touch the floor. As a result, the weight is pulled out only due to the strength of the muscles.
Contraindications and precautions
Attention should be paid to the exercise of persons having problems with:
- spine, especially its lower part;
- muscles bark.
The load should always be increased gradually. Otherwise, there may be pain in the lower back, knee or hip joints. To avoid unnecessary strain on these parts of the body, the following precautions should be taken:
- Do not straighten the legs to the end at the top – let them remain slightly bent at the knees.
- Do not let the back bend – it should retain its natural deflection.
- Keep in mind that the head has always been raised and the look is directed forward – many unconsciously lower their heads and look at the floor.
Recommendations for the exercise
To get the most benefit from training and to avoid undesirable consequences from incorrect technique, you can follow the following recommendations:
- Sumo squats are unique in that you can choose the amplitude of motion yourself. There will be a deep squat or a reduced amplitude – depends on the purpose of the training. To pump the zone of the buttocks, squat deeply and low. To work out the quadriceps stop in the squatting on the parallel with the floor.
- Pay attention to the turn of the knees and feet: socks should always be deployed at least forty-five degrees – this will work on the resulting musculature, the main goal of the training. If the socks are brought together, the load will go to quadriceps, and squats will no longer be called “sumo”.
- In connection with the high load on the lower back, it is recommended to do exercises to strengthen this zone along with the performance of the element.
- Choose the right weight. If during the training you do an involuntary jerk by the basin, then too much weight is chosen.
- When doing squat try to stay at the bottom point for at least two or three seconds, and rise quickly and sharply.
- To optimize the muscles of the buttocks during training, you need to transfer weight to the heels.
- The shins should always be parallel to the footsteps – so the risk of knee injury is prevented.
- Do not neglect the warm-up and stretching. Pay special attention to stretching the inner surface of the thigh both before and after the main training.
- Watch your breath – on exhalation we apply the main effort.
Can I replace the usual sumo squats with dumbbells?
In classical squats with a barbell the main role is played by a spin. The Sumo technique turns off the back almost completely. The work of the muscles of the legs will be different. Therefore, replacing one exercise with another is not recommended: the technique of execution will be completely different. The ideal option is to combine elements. For example, one week to perform classic squats, and another – sito squats. Those wishing to load the lower part of the body more during the training with the emphasis on the legs to perform sumo squats, and during training on all muscle groups to spend time classics.
It should also be said that sumo squats allow the use of heavier weights. Therefore, it is better to give the exercise a start to the training. Classics can be performed at any time during training.
Who will do the exercise?
Sumo squats are considered a more female training option. But due to the fact that quadriceps muscles are also employed here, the exercise is suitable for athletes who have some physiological problems that do not allow them to perform heavier elements. For example, the training is suitable:
- athletes with problem joints, since a wide setting of the feet reduces the load on the knees;
- athletes with insufficient mobility of the ankle – in the classical version, the heels break away from the floor and the enslavement of the joints takes place – the sumo squats solve this problem.
Training is suitable for athletes who want to use the maximum weights, since the technique ideally allows and gives a powerful incentive to develop strength indicators.
Sumo squats are one of the variations of classic sit-ups with a barbell, they are often confused with squats, but thanks to a special technique of execution this element is an independent exercise that will work the buttocks and hips no worse than, for example, lunges or the gluteal bridge. And the possibility of using large weights makes the training interesting for many athletes.