Bulgarian squats allow you to diversify your workout in the gym and at home. Mastering the exercise is associated with certain nuances, it gives excellent results, comparable to work in a squat with a bar. A feature of this training is the performance of the exercise on one leg. The second leg acts as a support only partially. Complexity squat in this technique is associated with the need for coordination of movements and the development of equilibrium.
However, having mastered the technique, it is possible to include in an effective training an effective exercise for the gluteal muscles with a minimal load on the spine. The main disadvantage of the Bulgarian squats is an increased load on the knees. What other features does this exercise have? The answer to this question, as well as its varieties and techniques, will be considered below.
Content of the article:
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Variations in exercise and technique
- The technique of performing Bulgarian split-squats
- Bulgarian squats with weights
- Bulgarian squats with a barbell on their shoulders
- Bulgarian squats in the Smith
- Common Mistakes
Advantages and disadvantages
The main feature of the Bulgarian squats is that they are performed on one leg. During exercise, the second leg is fixed on a hill. What does it give?
- Concentration of the load on the muscles of one leg.
- Increase the effectiveness of training.
From the classical squatting technique, this exercise is distinguished by an increased load on the knee joints. Therefore, it is categorically contraindicated to those who have chronic diseases of the joints of the legs: arthrosis of the knee joint, damage to the meniscus, trauma. Separate attention deserves the squatting technique, which is not as simple as it might seem at once.
Correct performance of squats requires a certain level of physical preparation, understanding and knowledge of his technique in all nuances.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Bulgarian squat for clarity are compared in the table.
|An intensive load on the gluteus muscles and the quadriceps of the thigh.||Increased stress on the knee joints.|
|Exercise is suitable for training in the gym and at home.||Mastering the technique of doing the exercise takes time and attention.|
|The ability to vary the load on each of the legs.||Exercise requires certain sports training and development of the muscles of the bark.|
|In comparison with the classical squats, the Bulgarian squat does not give such a load on the spine.|
|Development of mobility of the hip joint.|
|Development of balance and coordination.|
|The proportion of the formation of the relief of the legs is suitable without the use of serious burdening.|
|Exercise gives an excellent result in women and men in a short period of time.|
|Split training in the Bulgarian style allows you to effectively train your hips and buttocks.|
As you can see from the comparative table of merits and demerits, all the same the pluses of squats on one leg are much larger. Exercise is really working and is popular in a sports environment.
Variations in exercise and technique
The Bulgarian split squat uses the same muscle groups as the classic squat with a barbell:
- biceps, thigh quadriceps;
- gluteus muscles;
- muscles of the press and stabilizers of the cortex.
Complicated version with dumbbells (dumbbells, barbell) connects to the muscles of the forearm, responsible for holding weights.
The technique of performing Bulgarian split-squats
The Bulgarian split squats are performed from the starting position with the back to the bench or a small elevation. The sequence of actions is as follows:
- We put our foot on the surface behind our back, bending at the knee and leaning against the toe.
- The second leg stays on the floor. It is important that it protrudes slightly forward of the hull.
- During the exercise, the body should be kept straight, not leaning forward or sideways.
- Squats are performed slowly until the bent knee does not sink to the floor level. Do not touch the knee.
- The number of repetitions in the approach may vary. Then the exercises are repeated for the second leg.
Include Bulgarian squats with dumbbells in training is recommended after classic squats or squats with a barbell. This allows you to increase the load on the buttocks and leg muscles, contributes to their deeper development.
What determines the effectiveness of the exercise? Exceptionally from the number of repetitions. In the pursuit of relief, this rule is often neglected and tend to complicate training as soon as possible by using dumbbells or weights. Of course, we have to use burdening, with its help the formation of the relief is faster. However, to use it or not, they decide only after mastering the squat technique. Otherwise, you can lose focus and balance during the exercise, which will lead to an annoying fall or injury.
Bulgarian squats with weights
Bulgarian squatting on one leg is performed both with weights, and without it. The variant with weights or dumbbells is considered more complicated and suitable for those athletes who have already mastered the classical technique of exercise Bulgarian squats.
What are the features of squat with working weight? It requires excellent sports training and development of the muscles of the bark.
- To perform the exercise, weights (dumbbells) are picked up, holding them along the body. The starting position, as in the embodiment of the squats without burdening, with the back to the bench. One foot takes a step forward, and the other we put on the bench. The knee of the supporting leg can be slightly bent. The back is straight, we look forward.
- Exercise slowly by bending the knee of the supporting leg. At the lowest point of the squat, the thigh of the supporting leg should be parallel to the floor. We rise on exhalation as slowly as we fell. Exercise is repeated with one and the other leg.
Bulgarian squats with a barbell on their shoulders
Performing Bulgarian squats with a bar is performed as follows:
Step 1. We put the bar with the adjusted working weight on the shoulders. It is held by a direct grip. We remove the leg back, bend it in the knee and put it on the bench with a sock. In doing so, make sure that the supporting leg remains straight.
Step 2. Squatting is done on the supporting leg. The second leg helps maintain balance. It is necessary to go down to the parallel position of the hip of the front leg. Then, pushing away from the floor, we return to the starting position.
Bulgarian squats with a barbell are an exercise of medium complexity, during its execution it is necessary to watch that the squat is performed at the expense of the muscles of the thigh, and not with the help of knee-motion forward. To do this, the front leg should be sufficiently far from the bench. It is also necessary to follow the knee of the foot, which stands on the floor. During the movement, you can not take him inside.
Bulgarian squats in the Smith
The Bulgarian squat in the Smith is a variant of a split of squats in the gym on a special simulator. A feature of the exercise in this version is the setting of the rear leg on a special platform. At the same time, the main emphasis, as in the basic squat, goes to the gluteus muscles (large and quadriceps). Unlike the version with free weights, it is preferable, because it allows:
- Move the bar along a certain trajectory.
- Facilitates balancing.
- Gives the optimum level of load on the necessary muscle groups.
The exercise is performed as follows:
- At this stage, we install a bench or platform behind the stanchions of the simulator (the optimal height is 30-50 cm). We fix the bar of the bar on the special holders near the collarbone. We choose the optimal weighting.
- The starting position is with the back to the bench under the bar, the legs are shoulder width apart. Griff take a direct grip.
- To perform the exercise, make a wide step forward with the support leg. We transfer the weight of the body to it, and place the second leg on the bench so that its toe or lift of the foot is on the edge of the bench / platform.
- The back is straight, we look forward.
- On exhalation we descend into the squat with a slow movement. In doing so, bend the knee of the supporting leg.
- The bottom of the squat is the position of the hip of the front leg parallel to the floor. Deeper squats are practiced if stretch allows.
- On the exhalation we perform an ascent from the squat. Movement is provided by a powerful effort of the quadriceps muscle.
- Thus, perform the necessary number of repetitions on one leg, and then on the other.
Bulgarian attacks – an effective exercise for the formation of the relief of the feet. The technique of its implementation has its own characteristics, which are associated with the need for careful coordination of movements and maintaining balance during squats.
After studying the typical mistakes during the attacks, you can track them and sharpen the technique of the exercise to the ideal. So, the main mistakes and ways to eliminate them.
|Mistakes||How to fix the mistake?|
|Curvature of posture during squats||Watch your back, keep your posture level|
|The toe of the supporting leg is unfolded to the outside.||Turn the toe of the supporting leg inwards|
|Too short or too long a step||Calculate the optimal length of the step, which will not lose balance during squatting|
|Too sharp knee angle in case of an attack||Squatting, keeping an eye on the knee|
|Do not finish the squats||Crouch down to the parallel semi-position of the supporting thigh (or below)|
|Hold the knee while leaving squat||Do not block the knee during squatting|
|Lean forward and move the knee forward during exercise||Keep an eye on the knee, do not allow it to exit the plane of the socks|
|Do squats with jerks||Exercise slowly|
Initially, it is necessary to work out the correct technique of doing the exercise, learn how to keep balance during the squat. As progress is progressing, it is possible to begin to complicate the Bulgarian squats by using dumbbells of small weight as weights. You can also select a bench higher to make the squats as deep as possible. The optimal number of repetitions per foot is 10-12 times. In the set of 3-4 approaches.